Thursday, January 04, 2007

 

Some Reflections On Recent Activities: The Arts, Food, etc.

Wow, how did 2006 pass us by so quickly? It seems like I was just trying to figure out how 2006 was going to treat me. As it turned out, 2006 placed some stops on my parade but slowly I have come a long way given my fate in 2006.

But now 2007, I pray, will be a better year for me and others as well. Certainly Congress has given us all the hope we needed. In November I regained faith in the American people; after all I really didn't want to leave my country, one my forefathers came to wanting to fulfill their dreams and that is what I plan to do with regard to my own life and aspirations. So 2007, get ready because here I come.

But before leaving 2006 behind, I would like to point out the following which I never got around to giving complete reviews or something of the sort but nonetheless these deserve recognition for the quality, etc.:

1. Washington Skakespeare Theatre's production of Equus was quite good and Christopher Henley and Jay Hardee in the leading roles did a geat job. I came away from this play wondering if Peter Shaffer just couldn't have the boy confront his sexuality as seen in today's eyes. If the boy were gay, the play would take on a richer and perhaps a more complete explanation for the need to destroy the gods' eyes.

2. The Studio Theatre's production of The Long Christmas Ride Home was interesting but many passing through the theatre and I were not overtaken by the use of the puppets. Without the puppets would have made this play much stronger, in my opinion.

3. Baltimore Opera Company's production of Nabucco was adequate, the music itself being the highlight of the evening.

4. Washington Concert Opera's production of Orlando was superb. Countertenor Bejun Mehta in the leading role was breathtaking as was countertenor David Walker in the role of Medoro. Certainly this was one of the best productions of the year.

5. The National Symphony Orchestra's performance on November 11, 2006, with Miguel Harth-Bedoya conducting was something to remember. Specifically the La noche de los mayas by Mexican composer Silvestre Revueltas was eloquently performed by the NSO, who knew they could take on such a diverse and demanding score. Though this might not have gained favor with some stayed Washingtonians, this music lover was delighted and thrilled for the opportunity to hear a rare performance, on an evening that began with Ravel's Rapsodie espagnole. Bravo, NSO for your excellent performances on more than one occasion. Since 1994, you have come a long way and I have seen much improvement since Music Director Leonard Slatkin joined the NSO. I will miss him when he leaves the NSO.

6. The Phillips Collection Exhibition of Societe Anonyme, Inc. and El Lissitzky are both worthy of visits. Though there are several artists I could focus on at the moment, Man Ray stands out and do pay attention to his oil painting in the very last gallery of the exhibit. Known for his photograpy, this painting will surprise any art lover.

7. Finally if you are in want of exotic cuisine, then I have to recommend Bamian Afghan Cuisine. The food and service are exceptional and the prices will not shock you. It is a drive out of the way, and it could be seen as an excursion for Washingtonians.
Bamian Afghan Cuisine
5634 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22041
703.820.7880

This is not far from the Ballston Arlington area but you do need a car or taxi to get there.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?